issue no. 11 - 4 November 1997
Links to news items about
legal and regulatory aspects of Internet and the information society, particularly those relating to information content, and
market and technology.
Legal and regulatory issues
- USA - Clinton appoints next-generation Internet committee (InfoWorld Electric) President Clinton has appointed the members of the Advisory Committee on High Performance Computing and Communications, Information Technology, and the Next Generation Internet. http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?97113.wcommittee.htm
- USA - New FCC chairman wary of regulating the Internet (NandoNet - Associated Press) The FCC should proceed with caution when it comes to the Internet, the new chairman of the Federal Communications Commission said Monday. "I want to be very clear: I don't want to do anything that is going to squelch this new technology." http://www.techserver.com/newsroom/ntn/info/110397/info7_25538_noframes.html
Copyright - databases
Convergence - Defamation - Statute of Limitations
Promoting safe use of the Internet
Filtering and rating
Illegal content - racism
- U.N. eyes Net regulation (News.com) Following the lead of countless other groups, the United Nations is getting into the problematic business of Internet regulation. http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,15984,00.html?dtn.head
- United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights - Seminar on the role of Internet with regard to the provisions of the International Convention on the elimination of all forms of racial discrimination Geneva, Palais des Nations 10-14 November 1997 Considerations relating to codes of conduct and good practice for displaying material on Internet (Anthony M. Rutkowski) http://www.wia.org/pub/UNHCHR-paper.html
Protection of minors - Washington summit 1-3 December 1997
- Web ratings showdown set (ZDNews) An upcoming brainstorming session on Web ratings schemes could be the flash point in a debate over Internet censorship that has been simmering in the six months since the Supreme Court overturned the Communications Decency Act. http://headlines.yahoo.com/zdnews/stories/878611811.html
Market & Technology
- Le coût d'Internet ne pénalise pas les français (Le Monde) Le prix est-il un frein au développement d'Internet en France ? Non, si l'on en croit une étude comparative de l'Institut de l'audiovisuel et des télécommunications en Europe (Idate), entre la France, l'Allemagne, la Grande-Bretagne et les Etats-Unis. http://www.lemonde.fr/multimedia/sem4597/textes/act45972.htm
Filtering and rating
- Product lets parents choose, not filter. KiddoNet, which doesn't set any predetermined filters, but rather lets parents pick the sites their children can access. The product is targeted at people with surfers ages four to eight at home. http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,15982,00.html?dtn.head
- Präzise Antwort (Wirtschaftswoche) Das Internet wird für Juristen unverzichtbar. Fachverlage und Kanzleien drängen ins Netz.
QuickLinks are edited by Richard Swetenham (firstname.lastname@example.org). Contributors: Pierre Bischoff, Gerhard Heine.